Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Too many Moleskines!


Too many Moleskines!, originally uploaded by chlorinebeach.

Today I bought a small red 2009 planner, to replace the deteriorating calendar print-outs I had in my purse.

I'm slowly realizing that the Moleskine city notebook is not that great- I have to carry around a separate map, because the ones in the front of the notebook are not thoroughly labeled and difficult to navigate (pun intended), and I don't even really look at it that often. It would be better if I could take the tabbed "fill it in yourself" sections in the back of the city notebook and put them into the back of my planner, along with another section for overall lists (movies to see, books to read, clothing to keep an eye out for), because the tabbed list-enabling portion of my moleskine is the only part I've been using for the past few weeks.

The problem with having a little tiny 2009 planner is that there's no place for homework or to-do lists, meaning I have to re-activate my archaic and over-complicated post-it note system, which doesn't necessarily work that well anyway.

I think this need to over-organize stems from my continuing angst that we don't have desks in the apartments. I don't really want anything all that complicated, just a place that I can leave my computer and all of my papers, like a pop-up card table. I'm the kind of person whose creative process involves spreading all pertinent notebooks out across my desks and making as big a mess as possible and leaving it there, so shuffling my belongings from bags on my (half) bedside table out to the kitchen counter and back again is stressing me out.

'Sure', says part of my brain, 'just get over it! Enjoy being in London!'

But this is part of the package- learning about myself. And the bit that I'm learning right now is that I need some kind of designated place where I can just be and not have to worry about inconveniencing anybody, or being messed with.

Oh, and that I have a problem with notebook consumption.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

just get a cheap card table and put it in a corner somewhere

Beth said...

That is the general idea, anon, just waiting to see where I come across one.

wolfe.wolfe.wolfe said...

I love how your writing exactly conveys your speaking style. Barb

Beth said...

@Barb- thanks! I guess I wouldn't really know how else to write (which is a problem when it comes to paper writing...)

Mima said...

Forgot my blogger info. Am trying again. Mima
It worked!!! Sounds as if you're having fun. Now that I'm back in the mode will try to be a more faithful commenter.