Sunday, March 15, 2009

Tate Britain: Altermodern


Tate Britain: Altermodern
Originally uploaded by Tim Bradshaw

Today I got on a bus and went down to the Tate to see their "Altermodern" exhibition. After wandering around past parliament due to a diversion suffered by my bus, I bought my ticket (£4.50 for students, not too bad), got my free brochure, + proceeded to wander around.

I found that many of the artists had their base, or a lot of their work, in performance- which solidified the feeling of wanting to spend my life on some kind of a Gesamtkunstwerk. Some of the work I felt relatively neutral about, and some of the work I didn't really get, and I was interested to find that I hardly hated anything at all [I have the tendency to get very angry at art].

I won't bother describing any of the art, but I'll send you a link to an article on Charles Avery (and a link to a photo of the room where his work was displayed), because I enjoyed his work in particular.

But the whole, whole point of this post is that I feel like going to this exhibit has, in some way, helped me with my 'journey.' I still don't know what I want to do with my life (who does?), but I know a few things-

-Sculpture is more interesting than drawing
-Making clothing IS sculpting
-My life will somehow be connected with the theater.

Will I build avante-garde costumes for the hat circus? Will I be a good personal assistant to a lawyer/celebrity/accountant? Will I spend my days in a coffee shop and my nights building a tiny replica of Binghamton in my basement? Only time will tell, but it seems that these people have managed to do it (and some of them not that well, or interestingly), so there's no reason I can't.

If I had known all of this when I started undergrad, I could have created my own program of study and given myself an education in sculpture/costume design. But I didn't, and that's okay too.

No comments: