Thursday, March 19, 2009

Wednesday + beyond


Week Ten- blogged
Originally uploaded by chlorinebeach
I got up earlyish on wednesday in order to get to the Garden Museum by the time it opened at 10:30. I have been getting up early and going to bed early quite a lot recently, and I must say I really like it- it makes me feel so much more productive.

The Garden Museum was kind of a bust. I had seen into what I thought was it on the bus yesterday on my way to the Tate, but when I got inside it appeared that what I had been seeing was actually somebody else's private garden. The museum had free entry for students, though, so Sarah + I sat in the (tiny) garden, she with her book and I with my inks.

We walked home along the Thames and up through Covent Garden, and I stopped into the Royal Opera House to see if I could get tickets for the Gerome Robbins show being done, and decided to do SRO day of, but bought tickets for the showing of Swan Lake that evening.

I had an appointment for a free facial at Lush, so I went, and it was really quite nice. The store was relatively empty, so the employees were dancing around and kept coming over to chat with me in a very sincere way, which added to the whole experience. The girl who gave me my massage was from Barbados, so it was interesting to hear a different kind of outsider's perspective on the whole culture.

Tom decided that he wanted to go with me to Swan Lake, so at the appointed time we made the 10 minute jaunt to the Royal Opera house and took our positions in the SRO boxes, people watching the wealthier classes below us.

I haven't been to a full-on, old-school ballet in quite a long time, so it was fun to watch all of the spectacle of costumes and scenery and crazy dancing whizzing around. Part of the fun was watching the drunk woman try not to fall out of the chair in front of me, and Tom had a really great time, this being his first ballet.

Other highlights this week include:

-Violin/Accordion concert at SBC
-the Garden Museum
-Climbing out onto the roof
-Waiting For Godot with Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Simon Callow + Ronald Pickup
-Getting my Computer back + running

No comments: