Monday, March 23, 2009

Weekend starting 3/21


Brighton- Blogged
Originally uploaded by chlorinebeach
On Saturday, Sarah Jason + I got on the train down to Brighton (£20 round trip!). We walked past the Brighton Pavilion but didn't go inside because we didn't feel like spending the money on it. Most of the rest of the day was spent walking up + down the beach- we went to the Marina + walked along the seawall, got some really tasty fish + chips for lunch, + walked along the entertainment boardwalk. More photos can be found in my photostream.

Overall, it was just a nice relaxing experience- I haven't just chilled + enjoyed my surroundings for an extended period of time for a while, + it made me really excited to spend more time on the beach this summer.

***

Horses in the street

Yesterday was a really nice day, so I didn't really want to stay inside doing work. Sarah + I walked down to the South Bank Centre (one of our favorite haunts for free entertainement), but we saw the strangest thing on our way, on Charing Cross.

Heading south, three horse buggies popped out of the intersection and headed up the street in the opposite direction- everybody on the street stopped and stared. A few moments later, about seven more buggies popped out of the same road going in the opposite direction, closely followed by a number of police vehicles.

At first we thought it was some kind of official event, but then one of the horses got turned in the wrong direction into traffic and one of the police officers started yelling at the man driving the buggy, and the general attitude of the officers toward the buggy drivers was one of open hostility. Was it some kind of protest? I don't think I'll ever know- a quick Google search merely tells me that 'Charing Cross' is cockney rhyming slang for horse.

No comments: