Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Edward Scissorhands

The theatre itself (Sadlers Wells) was definetly very "we are a modern dance company!!!" I had forgotten that British audiences were more laid back than Americans, so I tried not to be annoyed when it started late + the audience was a bit chatty.

Overall, I really enjoyed Edward Scissorhands (lots of cool pictures and video clips on the site, if you care to check out more). All of the dancers (and there were about 25) were very strong- the company numbers were enjoying (but overwhelming) to watch. Because it was a dance, you could tell each of the dancers had worked really hard to develop a strong characterization of who they were playing. The physicality was big big big, sometimes almost bordering on the absurd, but in a really delightful way.

I must say that I think the two main dancers were the ones that I enjoyed the least- maybe because I felt like they hadn't worked so much on their characters. The guy who was Edward was certainly a great dancer, but I think he relied too much on the characterization that Johnny Depp had developed + didn't bother to make it his own.

I loved the costumes- each of them were very strong and clear, + I kept wondering what they were made out of that would allow them to look so good and be flexible at the same time. But lots of really eye-popping colors, all very broadway. Since it was my first show since taking costume design, I found myself analyzing them- I noticed all the uses of white on borders to make it so the more important characters were highlighted, and the play of different blacks against each other. I did lose Edward sometimes in the mix because he tended to blend in. Oh, also, all of the wigs were really good.

the sets were very... technological? They didn't really do anything for me- lots of flying in + out, + yes they told you where you were etc., but it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before. So no impression there.

The choreography (not that I know much about this sort of thing) was communicative and energetic. Overall, I had a lot of fun watching the show + was rather moved several times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Comment!
I'm still really jealous about your ballet escapade.
and why yes, I do stalk your blog every second of every hour of every day!