Friday, January 2, 2009

Organizing my Brain


My pretentious closet, originally uploaded by chlorinebeach.

Anybody who has seen my room/handbag/planner/brain knows that I am a hyper-organized person. A bizarre system of sticky notes and post-it flags helps me remember when to do my homework + why I exist on this planet. So when going to London, I see it as the ultimate organizational challenge, as you may have surmised from my previous posts.

Today I went to Barnes + Noble to spend Christmas gift cards, and I found a great planner- the Burde 08/09 planner (it pained me to have rip out half a year of pages, but there was really no point in keeping them). I love it because it has the whole week on one page, but each day has hours going from 8am to 8pm- I saw a planner once that ended at 5pm, which is completely useless for most human beings. Also, it has a spot on the side for writing to-do lists, meaning I will perhaps not have to make such vehement use of a post-it note system. Joy! It's also very lightweight (read:cheaply made), so it won't weigh me down too much.

In addition to this, I am going to bring my blank Moleskiene (for sketching on the go), my lined journal (because I can't blog everything), and my London Moleskiene, for writing down exciting places to go + generally keeping track of where I am.

However, this means at least three notebooks in my bag at any given time- do you think this is too much? Should I stop obsessively chronicling the banalities of my life? I'd love to be able to slap them all together into one book, but desfortunadamente that is not possible, and it would have to be a damn big book. Also, if I lost it, I'd be totally screwed.

Even at this I'm leaving behind my big sketchbook, which I would love to be able to take. I'm trying to convince myself I won't have time to sketch in the flat, what with homework and running around being fabulous and all, but a tiny part of my brain goes bring it, bring it! So I may succumb to that and cram it in if I have extra space.

Speaking of art, I also have no idea what to bring in terms of supplies. I've decided I'm allowed to bring EITHER markers OR colored pencils, but I don't know which- the markers take up less space + the pencils are heavier, but the color range available with the markers is far smaller. Or should I wait until I get there + find a supply store + just buy some decent markers there? Or should I just completely cut myself off + only allow myself to bring art pens? Decisions decisions.

Suggestions? I'll take them from writers, sculptors, wanderers or dreamers- I'm not picky.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I see that you're leaving on Jan 9th. Good Luck and Have fun. I did the semester in London Spring of 05 and it was the best decision of my life. If I can help in any way, local pubs, food etc, feel free to e-mail me. clalomia4@hotmail.com