Monday, January 12, 2009

Yesterday- 11/1/09

Last night I fell right the hell asleep.

Alarm clock went off at 9, and after some fussing around (I watched the telly, but we only get 8 channels so there wasn't much of interest) I went out for a walk. I saw some stuff, met up with a main tourist-y drag, and bought a TOLondon and a paper (which I later discovered was Irish, oh well).

I stopped to admire a church (The Church of England at Langham Place), and there was a deacon outside (Cedric) who chatted me up. Apparently it was built during the Victorian era, so it is made entirely from brick + decorated with tile. It was much prettier (I think) on the outside than on the inside, but still rather decorative and interesting to look at the nave. I managed to go at a time when they were having a service soon, so I didn't want to be rude, but it was sort of unnerving for me, because they did the service in a completely different way than my church does- it felt rather Catholic (incense, singing priests, hymn books without the music scored, lots of marching the Bible and the cross around the church, crossing ourselves, and kneeling during prayer are a few examples I can think of). Which isn't a bad thing, I just didn't know what to do. My mom told me to find a church of Scotland, and I think I will do that instead.

When I got out, I got quite turned around as to where I was, but I wasn't too put out, because I feel it helped me get more of a feel of the neighborhood.

I got back in time for the bus tour, which went down Haymarket square, along the side of Hyde Park, down out of town back + forth over the Thames a few times, back up past Parliament, around Soho and back to Bloomsbury. It helped give me an idea of the lay of the land, and quite a few ideas for things to do. We stopped at St. James for a little bit, and I went to a sandwich Shop behind it called James, where I got the best Mocha I have ever had- it was much thicker and richer than one from Starbucks- it tasted less milk based. I also got an elephant's ear, and a strangely shaped olive loaf- it looks like it was made the same way fried dough is made.

Back to the apartment where I fooled about on the computer with some other girls, + then eight of us trucked off to Wagamama for cheap(ish, not as cheap as people would have you believe) noodles. It was an interestingly formatted place, and my Ginger Chicken Udon noodles where quite tasty, with plenty left over to take home. Also, Plum Wine is to be added to my list of favorite drinks.

Later on I am going downstairs to play Taboo with the same folks I went to Wagamamma with. I think it may wind up being an early night- I am confused by everything being closed on Sundays, + the Tube closing at all. I suppose that since I grew up near New York, my idea of a city is a bit different- things should be open all the time, and the Tube should never stop at all.

I aim to get up early tomorrow + go buy a handbag (I can't believe I still don't have one) before our series of meetings- we have a meeting with some of our Professors, and then a meeting with the people who run the buildings, when I will (hopefully) be able to buy wireless.

Going on the tour made me realize even more how much there is to do, + how little time I have, + it re-enforced my plan to not travel every other weekend- it just seems like there is so much I would miss out on. I should sit down some time in the near future + create a list of things I want to do, maybe tomorrow evening when I have wireless access.

No comments: