Saturday, January 17, 2009

Week in Review


My creation, originally uploaded by chlorinebeach.

Thursday: Sarah + I went to go to Cirque du Soleil's Quidam at Royal Albert hall in the evening. We only got a little lost on the way there, + got in + got some pretty good tickets for 22 pound before the hall even opened. We were sitting in the circle, which was at the very top, but in the front. They were quite good seats, as we had a pretty good angle on watching the aerial acts. The show was AMAZING. It was everything I had ever thought a Cirque show should be, and more. Over and over again I was amazed by how strong the people were: yes, they were flexible, and had great balance, but really it was just a test of human strength. My favorites were the man in the circular ladder (I don't know what else to call it), + the four girls with the diablos. The aerial acts mostly made me nervous. The costumes were also really cool, + there was another part where they stacked four guys on top of each other, + it was very dramatic- you could hear the whole audience gasp as they threw the fourth guy up into the air.

Yesterday: It took us about an hour to walk to the Tower of London, + we stopped in at some places along the way, + took our pictures in front of "Gringotts" bank. I had been to the tower before, but it was quite interesting still- I really liked the crown jewels, + the medieval castle. They had a little display of all of the different types of fabrics used in a King's bedroom, + I guess it never gave it much thought before, but the fabrics were H-E-A-V-Y, because they had no heat, so they had to have as much insulation as possilbe- hence the fur blankets and the tapestries everywhere. I was stil mad jealous of the King's bed, though.


Today: We (Sarah, Jason, Jill, Laura, Susannah + I) trotted off to Camden Markets, to have a look around. There was a lot of crappily made clothing there, but once we explored a little deeper I also found some artisans selling jewelry they had made, and some people with legit antiques. It was a very over-stimulating experience, but it was pretty cool + I think I would go back. I got a long black skirt, which makes me happy because I had been wanting a new one for a long time. I also bought some tasty tea from some hippies, ate some free falafel samples, and laughed at the punks- that style was edgy maybe 30 years ago, + stylish 25 years ago. I don't know, it could also have something to do with the fact that I got over that look in eighth grade.

Tomorrow: Homework + Laundry. Jealous?

ps- Have a look at my flickr for more photos, + better descriptions of what's in them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Beth, I am a colleague of Giselda's at BU's International Programs office. I love your blog, you have a great descriptive style. I lived in London 6 yrs ago on a BUNAC visa and it's fun to see your perspective. If you're interested in a market that has interesting clothing, try to find/check out Spitalfields in the eastern part of the city in Jack the Ripper territory. It's indoors, and the vendors tend to be up-and-coming fashion designers, along with great international food. If you're interested, feel free to email me at mburns@binghamton.edu and I will dig out my A-Z for more instructions :) Enjoy every day over there! (even the rainy ones...)

Beth said...

Thanks so much for your suggestion, Mary! Spitalfields is definitely on my list, but you've just bumped it up higher.

And I don't mind the rainy days, they make me miss Binghamton a little...